Hillcrest Progressive School is Ontario’s oldest Jewish preschool. With a pioneering spirit from the start, a group of parents worked to establish a school where children would receive a modern progressive education, including aspects of their Jewish heritage.
In 1955, Hillcrest’s present location in Hogg’s Hollow was purchased – a gracious home set amidst two acres of wooded land, just a few kilometres north of downtown Toronto.
Today, our heritage still shapes our approach to learning, while our progressive spirit continues to evolve with the times.
The school was chartered under the name Central Jewish Institute (CJI) and operated as a non-profit organization, supported only by tuition fees without endowments or subsidies of any kind. It was originally located in a rented house on Christie Street, before moving to 574 University Ave in the 1930s.
The property at University Ave was sold for the construction of the former Mount Sinai Hospital (now the Queen Elizabeth Hospital) and the CJI purchased a house at 561 Avenue Rd, converting it for use as the school.
The Avenue Rd property was sold for redevelopment and the present location in Hogg’s Hollow was purchased – a gracious home set amidst 2 acres of wooded land just a few kilometres from downtown Toronto.
A parcel of the school’s land was sold in order to provide funds to enhance and upgrade the existing facility. The character of the original farmhouse has been carefully maintained in its original, natural valley setting.